Early Church Buildings of Rochester, Michigan
As the village of Rochester developed, church buildings appeared in a cluster on Walnut Street, one block west of Main. At one time, there were seven church buildings standing within a two-block stretch, prompting local residents to refer to Walnut unofficially as "Church Street." Four of these historic church buildings remain today. Also still standing is the 1878 parsonage of the First Congregational Church, the work of prominent Detroit architect John Scott. Three buildings have been razed: the former Episcopal church at Fourth and Walnut (now the Chase bank parking lot); the former Lutheran church at Second and Walnut (now a condominium building); and the former Catholic church at Third and Walnut (now a city parking lot).