Williams Hall (Elizabeth City State University)
Backstory and Context
WILLIAMS HALL, 2-story complex (1949) with added wings in 1951 for Physical Education and Fine Arts instruction, plus a Home Economics area. The Laboratory Nursery/Kindergarten was formerly housed here. Renovated several times, it formerly housed the Music Department. With 2003 - 2004 rehabilitation and modernization, the 36,000-square foot facility has become the new home of the School of Business and Economics and continues to house the operations of WRVS-FM radio. With all new finishes and furnishings, a new elevator, and facilities for the disabled, it also has some revisions of its exterior design, modernized electrical, mechanical, and plumbing systems. It also houses the renovated intramural gymnasium along with offices and locker rooms for the Physical Education program. The fountain area in front of the building will become part of the revised campus ‘Greenspace.’ The building is named for Dr. Sidney David Williams (1892 - 1974), fourth President and second President Emeritus.