Peggy Ann Building
The Peggy Ann Building in Youngstown Ohio was part of the retail boom that occurred during the height of Youngstown's growth. The Peggy Ann Building was built around 1930 and was built to house the Peggy Ann clothing company. The Peggy Ann clothing store operated in this downtown location from the 1930s to the 1960s. The second story of the building was used as office space. The building now holds multiple local businesses including the Whistle and Keg bar and the Touch the Moon Candy Saloon.
Backstory and Context
The Peggy Ann Building was constructed in the 1930s. Its original owner was the Peggy Ann clothing store. The building was constructed at the corner of Federal and Phelps Street as it was a prime location in Youngstown’s shopping district. The bottom floor of the building was occupied by the Peggy Ann clothing store from the 1930s to the 1960s. Various offices occupied the second story of the building.
The Peggy Ann Building was designed in an Art Deco style. This style was typical in many early Youngstown buildings; however, this building is significant due to its distinct features. These features include its use of terra cotta and vivid color. It uses both geometric and vegetative features in its front façade.
The Peggy Ann Building still stands today, maintaining its original purpose of housing Youngstown businesses. The building now holds multiple local businesses, including the Whistle and Keg bar and the Touch the Moon Candy Saloon. The Whistle and Keg features a self-service, pay by the ounce craft beers.
Williams , Judy. Peggy Ann Building. Ohio Historic Inventory. Published July 23rd 1986. Ohio Historic Preservation Office .
Whistle and Keg, https://whistlekeg.com/. Accessed November 7th 2019. https://whistlekeg.com/.