Clio Logo
Anderson University Heritage Tour
Item 6 of 6

In 1992, the Wilson Library and Byrd Library were combined to form the Nicholson Library, named in honor of Anderson University's third president. The Nicholson library has a mission to engage students with diverse ideas and information. Located in the Nicholson Library are the Anderson University and Church of God Archives, where students and community members have the ability to interact with historical documents relating to their community.


  • Outside of Nicholson Library on Valley Side
  • Instruction in the ideau lab in the library

In 1992, the Wilson Library and Byrd Library on the Anderson University Campus were combined into the Nicholson Library. Prior to the consolidation, the Wilson Library was the main library on campus. It was named in honor of Charles E. Wilson who was the one-time general manager of the Delco-Reamy Division of General Motors in Anderson. He became President of the General Motors Corporation when invited by President Dwight Eisenhower to serve as the U.S. Secretary of Defense. The Byrd Library was the seminary library located on the bottom floor of the School of Theology. Once combined they were named in honor of Anderson University's third President, Robert. A Nicholson. Today the Nicholson strives to this mission statement:

The Robert A Nicholson Library's mission is to engage students with diverse ideas and information --

  • Sparking curiosity, imagination, and collaboration
  • Fostering critical thinking and scholarship
  • Transforming them for lifelong faith and service

Located where the Byrd Library used to be is the Anderson University and Church of God Archives. About 60% of the Archives Collections correspond with the Church of God Movement the other 40% correspond with the University. The archives holds some unique collections, including all the presidential papers of the Anderson University Presidents, the early correspondence with Church of God Missionaries, the Charles E. Wilson Papers, and the Gaither Hymnal Collection.

Anderson University's Mission and Vision, Accessed August 6th 2020. http://library.anderson.edu/about/mission.

Callen, Barry. The Guide of Soul and Mind: The Story of Anderson University. Anderson, Indiana. Warner Press, Inc, 1992.

Image Sources(Click to expand)

library.anderson.edu

anderson.edu