Adams Memorial Library
The library serves 53,000 people in eight municipalities. They have almost 100,000 items in their collection including DVDs, Blu-Rays, eBooks, eAudiobooks, books on audiotape, large print books, magazines, newspapers, microfilm, and books of course. They also host their annual Palmer Summer Reading Program, in which about 1200-1500 children read over 15,000 hours over the nine-week period.
Backstory and Context
Founded on September 1st, 1927 in the Masonic Building on Spring Street. Eleanor Bye was the first librarian followed by others including Sara McComb. Currently, Tracy Trotter is the current director, Karen Herc is the children's director, and Allyssa Yanniello is branch manager of the Caldwell Memorial Library. Once the popularity of the library called for a larger space, railroad industrialist George Hamilton Adams developed a plan for the growing library in his hometown. Upon the death of him and his wife, their estate was given to the library.
The library we know today was completed in 1954. It contains special features such as the Resource Center Library of educational toys and games. Eventually three branch libraries were added. First, Caldwell Memorial Library in 1992 which is located in the Derry Area High School. Then Unity Library in 1996 as on of two libraries in the world to operate in a supermarket. This branch moved into the Unity Township Municipal Building before closing in 2013 due to lack of funding. Finally, the bookmobile known as "Your Neighborhood Library" was operated from 2001-2018.
About Us, Adams Memorial Library. Accessed July 2nd 2020. http://www.adamslib.org/about/.