Dr. W. F. Robinson Memorial Infirmary
W.F. Robinson Infirmary
Dr. W.F. Robinson
W.F. Robinson Infirmary postcard from the Southern Appalachian Archives.
Backstory and Context
After his passing, Dr. Robinson's wife Flora Harding Robinson donated $2,500 dollars for the construction of the memorial building. Mrs. Harding was the chair of the mathematics department at Mars Hill College. School historians claim that Mrs. Robinson's $2,500 donation was matched by the faculty of Mars Hill, providing the necessary funds for construction.
The memorial building was designed by architect Henry Irven Gaines, who also designed several buildings across campus. The Edna Moore Stroup, Wall, Nash, and Myers buildings were all designed by Gaines, making him responsible for many campus structures. The memorial infirmary was completed in 1935, and the university still uses the building for medical functions today.
1. McLeod, John Angus. From These Stones: Mars Hill College, 1856-1967. North Carolina: Mars Hill College Press, 1968.
2. Hood, Davyd Foard. Mars Hill College Historic District Nomination for National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service, 2006.
3. Dr. W. F. Robinson Memorial Infirmary. PocketSights. Accessed June 07, 2019. https://pocketsights.com/tours/place/Dr-W-F-Robinson-Memorial-Infirmary-21277.