Clio Logo
A Brief History of Rye, NY
Item 2 of 10

The only National Historic Landmark District in Westchester County, the Boston Post Road Historic District includes three 19th-century mansions (Jay Heritage Center, Lounsbury and Whitby) and their grounds, a nature preserve that includes a 10,000 year old Paleo-Indian meadow and viewshed, and a family cemetery that serves as the final resting place of Founding Father John Jay. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982, it was designated a National Historic Landmark District in 1993.


Located along a **-mile stretch of the Boston Post Road in the City of Rye, the Boston Post Road Historic District includes five significant sites. Three of these sites are historic houses that were built in the 19th century. The focal point of the Jay Heritage Center is an 1838 mansion that was built by Peter Augustus Jay, eldest son of Founding Father John Jay, on land that had been in his family's possession since 17**.

Adjoining the north side of the Jay Heritage Center is Lounsbury, a Greek Revival mansion that was built by Edward Lamb Parsons in 1838 on land that he had purchased seven years previously. Four additions were made to the 1838 home during the late 19th century. The home is privately owned.

Now part of Rye Golf Club, Whitby was completed in 1854. It was designed by Alexander Jackson Davis for William Chapman, owner of a successful brokerage firm **

The Jay Family Cemetery is located within the grounds of the Marshlands Sanctuary, but is not part of the park and is privately owned by the Jay Family Cemetery Association. John Jay ***, and arranged for the remains of some of his relatives to be moved to the cemetery from their original resting place in Manhattan. The cemetery is still actively used by members of the Jay family, and is open to burials of the descendants of John Jay.

The Boston Post Road Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. In 1993 it was designated a National Historic Landmark District. It is the only National Historic Landmark District in Westchester County.