Demo Queens Tour
The Old Quaker House was built in 1694 by John Browne to house religious meetings. The house symbolized, for colonial America, the struggle for equality that emerged at the time the house was built. It represented religious freedom, even holding papers of what many believe to be the earliest formal document declaring a need for religious freedom, the Flushing Remonstrance. The ideas of strength and equality which embodied the old house have carried on, as the house still represents these ideologies today.
The Unisphere was constructed in 1964 by the American Bridge Division of the United States Steel Corporation and was one of the highlights of the 1964-65 World Fair. It was designed by landscape artists Gilmore D. Clarke and became one of the symbols of the fair which was held at Flushing Meadows Corona Park. The sculpture stands 140 feet tall and was designated a New York City landmark in 1994.
The Queens Museum was established in 1972 and is located in Flushing Meadows Corona Park in a building constructed for the 1939 World’s Fair. This same building hosted the United Nations General Assembly at its inception in 1946 and served this capacity until 1950. The museum's permanent collection consists of around 10,000 items, over 6000 of which are documents and objects related to the 1939 and 1964 World's Fairs. The most popular part of the museum is the "Panorama of the City of New York", which was built between 1961 and 1964 and was one of the highlights of the 1964 World’s Fair. A celebration of the City’s municipal infrastructure, this 9,335-square-foot architectural model includes every single building constructed in all five boroughs (895,000 individual structures). The museum is also famous for the Neustadt Collection of Tiffany glass. A major 2013 restoration project helped expand Queens Museum's available space and offerings.
The Old Town of Flushing Burial Ground, also known as Martin's Field, began in 1840 as a resting place for people who died of epidemic diseases. Over the years, the cemetery was used largely for the burial of African Americans and Native Americans, as well as the victims of several epidemics. It's estimated that roughly 1,000 people are buried in the cemetery, although many of the tombstones were destroyed in the 1930s. The cemetery is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as well as the New York State Register of Historic Places.
Hillcrest Veterans Square is a public park located in Fresh Meadows, Queens, New York City. Although it’s designated as a “Square,” it is a triangle-shaped public park that contains a monument erected by Hillcrest Post No. 1078 of the American Legion. In 2005, the park’s original monument to the veterans was replaced by a new design with more detail yet included a plaque from the original monument along with excerpts from the poem “We Shall Keep the Faith” by Moina Michael. Its mention of the poppies growing in Flanders Fields inspired the use of this flower as a symbol of remembrance for those who fought in the First World War. In addition to the monument, Hillcrest Veterans Square contains a flagpole and a red maple tree.