The Friedberg Building has long been home to clothing stores since it was built. In 1918, merchant Joseph Friedberg opened a new store specializing in clothing, hats, and shoes. In later years, a J.C. Penney Company department store occupied this building. Saba's Western Wear moved into the building in 1972.
Backstory and Context
David Saba, Sr., an immigrant from Lebanon, arrived in California in 1913 and started peddling goods to gold camps and ranches across the state. In 1916, he moved to Arizona, and opened a mercantile store in Ray-Sonora. Three years later he sold his share of the store and moved to Chandler.
Saba continued to peddle wares to mining camps across Arizona, but by 1927 he had saved enough money to open a store of his own in Chandler specializing in western wear. The store later moved into the old JC Penney’s building on Boston Street, where it remains today. Saba’s Western Wear has grown into a chain of 9 stores throughout the Valley and Flagstaff.