Santa Fe Railway Freight Depot
Now called the Santa Fe Crossing Senior Center, the Santa Fe Railway Freight Depot is a historic train station built around 1925 by the Santa Fe Railway. It is a long building that is simple in design, which matches its original utilitarian purpose. The southwest portion of the building is two-stories tall while the rest is one-story. This latter part features large doors and is where freight was loaded to and from trains and trucks. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.
Backstory and Context
The depot is located across the street from the Santa Fe Passenger Depot (now the Railway Museum of San Angelo), which was built in 1910 by the Kansas City, Mexico, and Orient Railroad. The Santa Fe Railway bought this company 1928, a few years after it built the freight depot. The depot's offices were located in the two-story portion of the building, allowing staff to work while monitoring the freight being loaded and unloaded. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989 for its functional architecture and the role it played in contributing to the town's economic development. It is unclear when it was converted into the senior center.
Jones, Dwayne. "Santa Fe Railway Freight Depot." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. November 27, 1989. https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/media/40970691/content/electronic-records/rg-079/NPS_TX/90000459.pdf.
William Fischer, via The Historical Marker Database: https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=72020