St. Elizabeth University Parish
Backstory and Context
With no formal parishes established in Lubbock in the late 19th and early 20th century, traveling priests celebrated mass in the homes of the first Catholics who settled in the area. Starting in 1905, priest Joseph Keller started celebrating mass at a hotel. St. Joseph's Church was founded in 1924 by the Diocese of Dallas. The next year, the university parish was organized serving students and people in the western part of the growing city. As a result, the need for a new church structure became apparent. This building was completed in 1935 and dedicated the following year and was named St. Elizabeth's Catholic Church. The congregation and parish complex grew gradually over the coming decades and became the university parish in the early 1980s.
"History." St. Elizabeth University Parish. Accessed December 3, 2019. http://stelizabethlubbock.com/index.php/about-us/history.
"St. Elizabeth's Catholic Church." The Historical Marker Database. Accessed December 3, 2019. https://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=106429.
Bill Kirchner, via The Historical Marker Database