Corning Bank & Trust Company Building
Backstory and Context
The Corning Bank & Trust Company is located on 501 SW Second Street. The building was constructed in 1920. The need for a bank in Corning was voiced in The Clay County Courier in 1889. In 1894, W.D. Polk contracted Joe Walk to bring in sand and brick for the construction of a bank building. Work on this build was met with stagnation due to the fact the James White and D.A. Milam who were contracted to erect the building had embezzled the money given to them by W.D. Polk and fled on a train to Poplar Bluff, Mo. The next bank to be built was the one built in 1920. This bank was a set of three buildings on the northern section of this lot on the southwest corner of Vine and SW Second Street.
Argenweb – Arkansas Genealogical Resources Online “Clay County Narratives 1873 - 1899” Accessed October 25, 2019 http://www.argenweb.net/clay/couriernarratives1873-1899.htm
Argenweb – Arkansas Genealogical Resources Online “Clay County Courier 1900 - 1931” Accessed October 25, 2019 http://www.argenweb.net/clay/couriernarratives1900-1931.htm