Backstory and Context
The idea for the library first originated from two teachers 1897 who then suggested it to a member of the Port Angeles Reading Club. However, it wasn't until 1908 when the mayor at the time, E. J. Walton, started to request funds from the Carnegie Foundation that the process got going. But even then it took another ten years of negotiation before the foundation sent funds to the city. The library opened to great fanfare the next year. It was one of the last libraries built in the country with support from the foundation. In the 1960s, an addition was built that covered the front facade. The library continued to operate until 1998 when it moved to its present location.
Between 2002-2004, the building was restored, which included the removal of the addition. The Clallam County Historical Society opened a museum in the building for a time before the Lower Elwha Klallam Tribe took over (it is not clear when). Archaeologists found 335 human remains and more than 100,000 artifacts at the village site.
Kidd, Cherie. "Port Angeles Civic Historic District." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. May 4, 2011. https://s3.amazonaws.com/NARAprodstorage/lz/electronic-records/rg-079/NPS_WA/11000259.pdf.
"History of the Carnegie Library." City of Port Angeles. Accessed April 20, 2020. https://www.cityofpa.us/656/History-of-the-Carnegie-Library.
Wikimedia Commons: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Port_Angeles_-_Carnegie_Library.jpg