McHenry County Historical Museum
Backstory and Context
Since 1963 the McHenry County Historical Society has strived to engage and educate current and future generations about the history of their county.
This 501c3, nonprofit organization has an enviable 57-year-old track record of educational, entertainment, resource and preservation contributions. The Society spearheaded efforts at developing a McHenry County Historic Preservation Ordinance in 1990. It undertook the restoration of the 1843 Gannon log cabin, the 1867 Pringle School, 1886 Seneca Town Hall, the 1895 West Harmony School and a 1950 Modern Tourist Cabin.
In 2009 the Society acquired the 1898 Riley Methodist Church – one of seven structures it owns and cares for.
The McHenry County Historical Society & Museum endeavors to be a hub for collection, preservation and educational outreach reflecting McHenry County’s history. Toward that end, we strive to operate with 11 values in mind. They are accessibility, collaboration, integrity, inclusion, innovation, knowledge, leadership, outreach, relevancy, sustainability and stewardship.