Hellenic Orthodox Church of the Annunciation
Backstory and Context
Built between the years of 1904 and 1907, the building for the Hellenic Orthodox Church of the Annunciation was originally a Presbyterian Church. It was sold to the Hellenic Orthodox in 1952; the Presbyterians' last service in that church was held in the morning of the last Sunday of the year, and the Orthodox had their first service there that afternoon.
The church is considered to be a Buffalo landmark and is also on the National Register of Historic Places. It is built in the English country Gothic style, and some changes were made to it when it was purchased by the Greek Orthodox, such as the building of an iconostasis and Bishop's Throne. These changes were largely in order to fit with Greek Orthodox tradition. A few other alterations have occurred since; the interior was restored in 2002 after an arson fire.
The Eastern Orthodox sect was one of two branches left during the Great Schism of 1054, with the Catholic sect being the other. Note that this is not to be confused with the schism that separated the Catholic and Protestant denominations, and which occurred much later.
Eastern Orthodox immigrants first came to the United States in 1768, and Eastern Orthodoxy is practiced by many people worldwide.
History - North Presbyterian Church / Hellenic Orthodox Church of the Annunciation, Buffalo as an Architectural Museum. January 1st 2002. Accessed April 18th 2020. https://buffaloah.com/a/del/1000/hist/.
Articles and Resources for the Orthodox Christian Church, Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Detroit: Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church: Buffalo, NY. January 1st 2020. Accessed April 18th 2020. http://greekorthodoxchurchbuffalo.org/our-faith/.
East-West Schism, Encyclopaedia Britannica. January 1st 2020. Accessed April 18th 2020. https://www.britannica.com/event/East-West-Schism-1054.