Clio Logo

The Morris Mercantile was built in 1891 by Edward J. Morris. He was the son of Esther Hobart Morris who was the first female Justice of the Peace. Edward Morris was the first mayor of Green River. The mercantile served a number of roles including housing the general store, professional offices, the post office, and Morris State Bank. The building burned down in 1917. Construction of the current building started in 1919, the Stanley Hotel and Isis Theater opened in 1921. The theater remained open until the Star Twin opened on Uinta Drive.


  • A thanksgiving ad from 1915 for the Morris Mercantile
  • The site of what was once the Morris Mercantile has changed over time
  • The Stanley Hotel took the place of what was once the Morris Mercantile
  • The interior of the Morris Mercantile

The Morris Mercantile was built in 1891 by Edward J. Morris, son of Esther Hobart Morris and twin of Robert C. Morris. The mercantile served a number of roles including housing the general store, professional offices, the post office, and Morris State Bank. The building burned down on March 25, 1917, and was a total loss. It was later replaced by the Stanley Hotel and Isis theater.

Edward and Robert Morris both lived in downtown Green River and were business partners. Both of their homes still stand near the Sweetwater County Courthouse and appear in the Green River Historical Tour. Edward Morris was the first mayor of Green River, and signed the Wyoming State Constitution on September 5, 1889. Edward Morris was re-elected in 1892, 1896, and 1900. He died in September of 1902. Robert C. Morris was active in Cheyenne in the 1880s serving as stenographer for the district court and private secretary to Governors Hale, Warren, and Richards. Robert Morris was responsible for grants for the Carnegie libraries in Green River and Cheyenne, acquiring the land for the State Miscellaneous and Law Library, and the free county library system. He also founded the Wyoming State Historical Society and was the organization's secretary.

Construction of the current building started in 1919 and the Stanley Hotel and Isis Theater opened in 1921. Apart from the theater the hotel had space for three other businesses. The Isis Theater remained open until the Star Twin opened on Uinta Drive. Today the marquis of the Isis Theater can still be seen on the building.

Thompson, Stephanie. Building still stands, but currenty vacant, Green River Star. April 8th 2015. Accessed April 16th 2020. https://www.greenriverstar.com/story/2015/04/08/county/building-still-stands-but-currently-vacant/1035.html.

"Morris Block Destroyed by Sunday Night's Fire." The Green River Star (Green River) March 30th 1917. Volume 33 Number 32 ed, 1-1.

Image Sources(Click to expand)

Sweetwater County Historical Museum

Sweetwater County Historical Museum

Sweetwater County Historical Museum

Sweetwater County Historical Museum