Purdue College of Agriculture
Original building of Purdue School of Agriculture
Backstory and Context
The Purdue School of Agriculture, originally founded with the start of the university in 1874 and located to Pfendler Hall upon it's completion in 1902, consisted of an "Agriculture Experiment Station" that performed research on topics such as "seed germination, methods of preventing oat smut, and swine fertility, as well as undertaking social scientific investigations on numerous aspects of rural life." (Steinson, pg. 219-222) Information from the school was passed through "county agents," who would go throughout the state educating farmers and "cooperating with various farmers, and promoting agriculture and home economics education." (Steinson, pg. 222) This site is significant as the first stop of the tour as the research conducted here was the dawn of a new era for Indiana agriculture and scientific advancement in the field itself.
Steinson, B. J. (1994, September). Rural Life in Indiana, 1800-1950. Indiana Magazine of History, 90(3), 203–250. doi: https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/27791761.pdf?refreqid=excelsior:3441051c6caf5db98dd5b57dcceb5d75.
Purdue University Historical Timeline, collections.lib.purdue.edu. Accessed April 9th 2020. http://collections.lib.purdue.edu/timelines/puhistorical.