Pocatello Carnegie Library
The old Pocatello Carnegie Library is a somewhat simple but historically significant building. Built in 1907, it was designed in the Palladian style, which resembles Classical architecture. It features a beige brick exterior with light sandstone trim, pilasters (architectural features that look like columns), pediments (triangle structures), and an arch over the main entrance. It is now a part of the Marshall Public Library (an atrium connects the two buildings). The old library was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
Backstory and Context
The Carnegie Library was named after philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, the steel magnate who was one of the richest men in the country in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He donated money to Pocatello and countless other communities around the country to enable them to build libraries. The library was the town's first building designed to resemble buildings from the Classical (ancient Greek and Roman) period. At the time, most of the buildings in Pocatello were designed in the medieval styles. The library, then, was a notable departure for the community. For many years, it was the home of the Bannock County Historical Society. It is unclear when the Marshall Library addition was built.
Hart, Arthur A. "Carnegie Public Library." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. July 2, 1973. https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/GetAsset/NRHP/73000679_text
Marshall Public Library