Woman's Club of Jacksonville
The Woman's Club of Jacksonville is a historical woman's club that is located next to the Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens in Jacksonville, Florida. It was added to the U.S. National Register of Historical Places on November 3, 1992. It was involved in the promoting of women's suffrage as well as other issues.
Backstory and Context
The Woman’s Club of Jacksonville was a historical woman’s club that was constructed in 1927 by Ninah Cummer. The land was donated by Ninah Cummer and sits beside the Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens that sits on the land which was once their home. The architect, Mellen Clark Greeley, designed the building in the same Tudor-style as the adjacent estate. The building served as the Woman’s club until 2005, where they donated all their records to the Jacksonville Historical Society. (1)
Arthur Cummer’s wife Ninah, was the one responsible for the creation of the organization. Ninah was active in many charitable groups and an important part of the Riverside Society. She was also an “avid gardener and knowledgeable collector"(2) of European art and treasures. All the things she collected were then donated and turned into the Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens after her death. (2, 3)
The Woman’s Club that was built on the land Ninah donated, allowed women of Jacksonville to become involved in advocating for the cause of women’s suffrage and other pressing issues. The 13,264 square foot building is now added to the U.S. National Register of Historical Places (#92001505). Its period of significance was between the years of 1925 and 1949, where it was used as a social clubhouse. (1, 4)