The fur trade throughout Grand Portage began to flourish and the North West Company, who was the most successful trading company in North America set up a meeting in Grand Hall to discuss matters with Grand Portage representatives. During this meeting the NWC voted to move their summer fur trade more north of Grand Portage to Kaministiquia River. Due to United States interference the NWC decided to move their fur trade far north and off United States soil. Grand Portage was restored into a National Historic site in 1951 and was open for visitors. Shortly after, in 1958, it was declared a National Monument. Grand Portage is a 710 acre lot with many attractions available to see.
The 8.5 mile trail at Grand Portage still looks the same as it did in its historic times. Many visitors walk the trail to view Lake Superior and Pigeon River since the trail connects the two. The staff on duty dress the attire as it was the early 1900s. They explain to visitors what life was for the fur traders and those who resided on Grand Portage. A reenactment is held at Grand Portage in August yearly where they hold a pow-wow that attracts the local Indians and many more visitors. Due to Grand Portages popular attraction, they built a Heritage Center in 2007. Grand Portage sees around more than 70,000 visitors a year. The Heritage Center sits upon a rocky hill overlooking the now newly reconstructed fur trading post. It includes exhibits about the Ojibwe tribe culture and their role in the fur trade, and a souvenir shop. Grand Portage National Monument is a great place learn about the northern fur trade and culture about tribes surround the town.