Historic Sotterley Visitors' Center and Museum Store Start Here! Check-in!
Sotterley Visitors' Center and Museum Store entrance
Visitors' Center and Museum Store Parking
1910 section of the Knott House
Side view of Knott House
Backstory and Context
Sotterley's Visitors' Center is housed in one of its historic structures. Known as the Knott House, the original section of the house and porch that faces Wharf Road, was built in 1910 by the owner of Sotterley as a home for the family of Charles and India Knott. Knott was the site farm manager from 1910-1960. As the years passed and the family grew, the house expanded. The house was surrounded by a large farm complex. Most of these farm buildings have since either been moved or torn down. Look around the perimeter of the house and see if you can spot some of the old farm buildings that remain. The museum has used this structure to house other families, and it was once used as an education center. Since 2009, it has housed Sotterley's Visitors' Center and Museum Store. Historic Sotterley is a non-profit 501(c)3 public charity.
Pirtle, Jeanne K.. Sotterley Plantation. Images of America. Charleston, South Carolina. Arcadia Publishing, 2013.
Historic Sotterley. Accessed April 17th 2020.