Pine Street School Building
The Pine Street School Building was designed in 1921 by the architectural firm of Woolett & Lamb in the Mediterranean Revival style. For 45 years, this building served as a school for children. Thereafter, it became a commercial plaza featuring shops and restaurants, as well as a law office. The historic building continues to serve the town of Redding in this commercial capacity. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Backstory and Context
The Pine Street School Building was designed in 1912 in the Mediterranean Revival style by the Sacramento-based architectural firm Woollett & Lamb. It was the third school to be built in this location. The first school building was built from brick in 1881, while the second school building was built from wood in 1895. After demolishing the earlier school building that stood on this spot, the new building, the Redding Grammar School. was completed in 1922. Locally, it became known simply as "the Pine Street School."
With a stucco facade, the Pine Street School building featured Renaissance and Romanesque elements, including rounded arch windows and doorways. From 1923 to 1967, the building served as an elementary school for Redding children, until the school district abandoned it due to seismic safety issues. In 1967, the school was purchased by a businessman from Corona del Mar who renovated the building and remodeled it as a commercial plaza.
During the remodel of the Pine Street School building, the classrooms were redesigned as shops, an amphitheater was added, and exterior paved walking paths were created. True to the original Mediterranean Revival style, a red tile roof was also reinstalled. In addition, the exterior stucco walls were restored to their original white color. The historical integrity of the building was otherwise preserved. In 1995, it underwent another remodel while under new ownership. Since 1967, however, the old Pine Street School building has remained in use primarily as a commercial space with offices, restaurants, and retail shopping.
The Pine Street School Building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 18, 1977. Although its present use is as a commercial plaza, the building is still known locally by both merchants and shoppers as the "Old Pine Street School building." Those who can still remember the building when it served as a school recall a place of camaraderie and fond memories of youth, such as singing songs around the flagpole and walking across Pine Street to the local hamburger joint to buy their lunch.
"Asset Detail", https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/AssetDetail?assetID=1644410b-de0d-4b33-a8b6-ddf941e959ba. Accessed March 15th 2020. https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/AssetDetail?assetID=1644410b-de0d-4b33-a8b6-ddf941e959ba.
Lewis, Jon. "Old Pine Street School In Redding", Enjoy Magazine. April 26th 2017. Accessed March 15th 2020. https://www.enjoymagazine.com/2017/04/26/140170/old-pine-street-school-in-redding.
"National Register of Historic Places in Shasta County", Noe Hill. Accessed March 15th 2020. https://noehill.com/shasta/nat1978000791.asp.
"National Register Nomination Form", National Park Service. Accessed March 15th 2020. https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/GetAsset/13f515e4-99bd-4abc-a45f-3a0c41f15787.
Jon Lewis, Enjoy Magazine (2017)
Noe Hill (2011)
Noe Hill (2011)