Camp Luther Highway Historical Marker
Prior to the Civil War, a Lutheran log church built on the North Fork housed a growing congregation. The building, renamed Camp Luther, was used by soldiers from both sides during the war. On March 1, 1862, a Union force under Col. George Latham captured Confederate militia under Capt. Joseph Lantz. It was burned before end of war, possibly by local women to prevent misuse.
1. "Depredations of the Enemy in Pendleton County" and "The Patriotic Women of the Mountains." Richmond Daily Dispatch. March 17, 1862. Web. Accessed via Child of the Rebellion: An Archives and History Sesquicentennial Project. June 10, 2020. http://www.wvculture.org/history/sesquicentennial/18620301a.html
2. Atkinson, George W. and Alvero F. Gibbens. Prominent Men of West Virginia. Wheeling, WV: L. Callin, 1890.
3. Peirpoint, Francis P. Annual Report of the Adjutant General of the State of West Virginia for the Year Ending December 31, 1864. Wheeling, WV: John F. M'Dermot, 1865.
West Virginia & Regional History Center, https://wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/034417