Backstory and Context
This home was built for one of Bennettsville’s earliest physicians, Dr. Edward Jones, but is named for the two families who lived in it the longest: the Dr. J. Beaty Jennings family (1852-1904) and the J.J. Brown family (1929-1969). The Jennings were the occupants when it served as headquarters for Union troops during the Civil War. The home was moved to its present location, behind the Marlboro County Historical Museum, in the 1970s when it was restored as part of the nation's Bicentennial celebration by the Marlborough Historical Society. Tours may be arranged by visiting the Historical Museum or calling 843-479-5624.