Clio Logo

The location of W.D. Green’s “old, dilapidated storehouse,” where a fire started on the night of July 3rd, 1875. An alarm was sounded ‪around 3 a.m.‬, but by sunlight the fire had spread eastward through 4½ blocks of Washington’s business district. Almost two dozen businesses were affected, reaching the next two blocks and two stores on Block 6 before stopping short of the 1836 Courthouse.