Island County Historical Museum
Backstory and Context
The Island County Historical Society was formed in 1949 to try to prevent a historic building, the 1891 Lovejoy Victorian courthouse, from being torn down and to open a museum in it. The Society's efforts failed as the building was declared unsafe. After looking at the possibility of opening a museum in the Admiralty Head Lighthouse (the state acquired and restored it) in 1958, the Society finally opened its first museum in 1963 in a building once owned by the General Telephone Company. The museum later moved to another building in 1971 and remained there until 1991 when it constructed its current building, which resembles a historic inn that once occupied the spot and burned down in 1989.
"ICHS History." Island County Historical Society. Accessed February 19, 2020. https://www.islandhistory.org/ichs-history.
Whidbey Camano Islands: https://whidbeycamanoislands.com/activities/island-county-historical-museum