Great Northern Depot
Backstory and Context
The Great Northern Railroad built the depot during what is considered the city's "second boom" between 1900-1920 when the lumber and fishing industries were thriving. Great Northern erected the station to replace a smaller one that was no longer adequate for the city's needs and the increasing number of people settling here.
The depot was a busy passenger hub until 1930 when ridership began to decline as people started to use cars. As a result, regular passenger service ended in the early 1930s. After that, excursion trains operated until the mid-1950s; freight service continued until 1973 when another depot was built in Mt. Vernon, Washington. The Great Northern Depot remained vacant for several years before the city bought it in 1981. It was at that point that it became the Depot Arts & Community Center and home to the Anacortes Farmer's Market.
"Depot, circa 1915." The Historical Marker Database. Accessed February 16, 2020. https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=74122.
Koler, Julie. "Great Northern Depot." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. November 5, 1987. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/dd826d88-fa13-4f49-9ca6-92281065a596.
Depot Arts & Community Center