The Ca' d'Zan was originally the house of John and Marble Ringling who used their love for Italian architecture to design a home in 1924. The house was completed in 1926. The home has a waterfront view and is 36,000 square feet. Three years after it's completion Marble died leaving John for seven more years. In 1936 John died, passing the house to the people of Florida who kept the house open in 1946. However, with little money, the older house was starting to fall apart because no one made repairs to damages. With photos and clues around the house, repairs were able to made at a highly cost and it was able to be reopened for the public to enjoy.
Five brothers that started the Ringling Circus in Wisconsin. In the 1920's the Ringling brothers saw that the circus was a success and moved to Sarasota Florida to make that their central location. John Ringling and wife, Marble Ringling, loved to travel to Europe gathering artwork. They especially loved Italy. They admired both Venice's Ducal Palace, Ca' d'Oro and the Grunwald Hotel, that in 1924 John Ringling wanted to make a home in Sarasota and wanted to use their inspirations from those architectural styles and with the use of the Sarasota Bay, as their Grand Canal, to make a home that reflected their love for Italy. Marble, made sure that everything would get done for the house and that it was done the right way throughout the building process. Since she had a major role in the making of the house, they named the architectural plans after her: The Residence of Mrs. John Ringling.