Clio Logo

Owned and operated by the Lititz Historical Foundation, the stone portion of the home was built by the town dyer of the Moravian community of Lititz, Johannes Mueller. Inside the structure are many 18th and 19th century artifacts which illustrate what a typical home looked like during the time when residents had to be of the Moravian faith in order to live in the town. The 1792 Mueller House also contains the original desk which was used by Frederick Zitzman, during the time he served as the second postmaster of Lititz, between 1830 and 1849. The Mueller House retains much of its original 18th century charm; including the older portion of the structure--a log home--which was built by in 1740. Tours of the Mueller House with a costumed docent are available.


  • The 1792 Johannes Mueller House
  • The 1792 Johannes Mueller House

The 1792 Johannes Mueller House is an excellent example of 18th century German architecture. Johannes Mueller (1760-1834), the town dyer of cloth, lived here with his wife, Anna Marie (1760-1831) four children, and an apprentice. At the time Mueller and his family lived in Lititz, the Moravian Church oversaw and set the rules in the community. Johannes Mueller married Anna Maria in 1787, and they were the very first couple united in holy matrimony in the Lititz Moravian Church's new sanctuary.

In addition to his daily trade as a dyer, Mueller supplemented his income by growing nuts, several crops, and raising farm animals.

Owned and operated by the Lititz Historical Foundation, guided tours are available of the home.

www.lititzhistoricalfoundation.com

Image Sources(Click to expand)

Lititz Historical Foundation

Lititz Historical Foundation