Sioux Falls National Bank Building
Sioux Falls National Bank Building was built in 1918 and was the tallest structure in the city until 1986.
Backstory and Context
In 1916, officers of the Sioux Falls National Bank decided to construct the building in the downtown business district. They not only wanted the building to house the bank, they also wanted to provide office space for the growing number of other professionals in the city. Demand was so high that even before it construction was completed (in June 1918), more than 96% of the office space was leased. When it opened, around 10,000 people came to admire the new building. The new tenants of the building included doctors, dentists, lawyers, and insurance companies. The need for additional space became clear as the 1920s progressed and an addition was built in 1929.
The building remained an important office building for three decades. However, by the 1960s it was clear that it needed an updated and renovated. Fortunately, in 1976 Great Western Bank decide to buy it so they could relocate to downtown. The bank moved in after renovations were completed. The building became Hotel Phillips in 2018. It still retains some original features including original chandeliers, the original bank vault, and the original terazzo floor in the lounge.
Olson, Dr. Gary. "Sioux Falls National Bank Building." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. March 26, 1979. https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/GetAsset/NRHP/79002406_text.
"Our History." Hotel Phillips. Accessed January 14, 2020. https://www.hotelonphillips.com/our-history.
Schwan, Jodi. "Hotel Phillips to bring upscale boutique hotel downtown." https://siouxfalls.business/hotel-phillips-to-bring-upscale-boutique-hotel-downtown.