Clio Logo

In pre-integration Hinton, Lincoln School was the school for African-American children. It replaced an earlier frame school which stood on the same site. The current structure was in operation from 1926 until 1964, and initially contained all grades, through high school. In 1959 students were allowed to go to their school of choice as integration began to set in.


  • AmeriCorps Clean-Up Event
  • View from across the street taken in 1959

The Lincoln School, built in 1926 by a Charleston, WV firm, Wysong & Bengston. It replaced an earlier frame school which stood on the same site. It was in operation from 1926 until 1964, and initially contained all grades, through high school. In 1959, African-American high school students chose what school they attended as the school systems were being integrated.

It is a 2-story, red brick school house with protruding wood belt course primary cornice and raised basement, Neo-Classical Revival vernacular in style, flat-roofed, with a centered entrance on the symmetrical facade and multi-light windows. In pre-integration Hinton, this was the school for African-American children that is seven bays wide.. It is a 2-story, red brick school house with protruding wood belt course primary cornice and raised basement, Neo-Classical Revival vernacular in style, flat-roofed, with a centered entrance on the symmetrical facade and multi-light windows. In pre-integration Hinton, this was the school for African-American children that is seven bays wide.

Hinton Historic District Master Plan Summer 2007

West Virginia Historic Property Inventory Form

Image Sources(Click to expand)

Candice Helms

Candice Helms

Candice Helms

https://wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/050053