In 1887, Pleasant Reed pursued a land contract with a local developer and merchant by the name of Jacob Elmer. Jacob was the developer of Elmer Street in Biloxi, where Pleasant purchased a lot measuring 50' by 104'. After signing his contract, Reed began purchasing lumber from local businesses and began the construction of their house through the knowledge he obtained as carpenter.
The construction of the house was finished before the land was paid off, which Pleasant and Jacob Elmer came to an agreement to exchange labor for payment. During this time, Elmer Street was developing as an ethnically diverse street as Mr. Elmer sold land to families of different races and backgrounds. Over the next 91 years, this was the home of the Reed family. In all, six children were born to Pleasant and Georgia and grew up on Elmer Street in Biloxi.
Georgia passed in 1933 and her husband followed her in 1936. Therese Reed, one of the daughters of the couple, transferred ownership of the house to Delta Sigma Sorority in 1979. The sorority added rooms to the house as well as a new tin roof and kept this historic site from demolition. In 2000, the sorority donated this house to the Ohr-O'Keefe Museum of Art and it was moved from Elmer Street to the site of the museum in 2002.
In 2005, the Pleasant Reed House was demolished during Hurricane Katrina. The following year, the board voted to replicate the house and name it the Pleasant Reed Interpretive Center to further the memorial of the Reed family and provide knowledge of how one man overcame slavery and became one of few former slaves to build a strong future for his family.