Allen Temple AME Church Cincinnati, Ohio
The Original Building
The Present Building
Backstory and Context
During the Civil War, white residents were increasingly hostile to the church but members risked their own safety and security to provide shelter to former slaves that had escaped either from their former masters or from contraband camps.
In October 1870, five years after the Civil War, members of the congregation purchased the former Israel Synagogue (6th and Broadway) for the price of $25,000. The congregation grew steadily and in 1979 this location was selected for the new sanctuary and Family Life Center.