Clio Logo

Constructed in 1923 by Kansas City developer J. C. Nichols as the Villa Serena Apartments, this historic Kansas City building has been home to the Raphael Hotel since 1975. The building's architecture was designed to complement the adjacent Country Club Plaza and was inspired by the fine apartment buildings adjacent to Central Park in New York. The Villa Serena was acquired by the J.C. Nichols Company in 1974 and opened as a European-style boutique hotel the following year. Highlights of the hotel include the ornate lobby with two eighteen-torch chandeliers and the courtyard featuring a white marble statue by Italian artist Bernard Zuckerman. The Raphael is a member of Historic Hotels of America and has received recognition for its preservation efforts by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

  • The Raphael Hotel in Kansas City opened as the Villa Serena Apartments in 1923

More information and images of the hotel coming soon...

Interview of Pamela McCain by David Trowbridge at recorded the Raphael Hotel, December 30, 2019.

Image Sources(Click to expand)

Raphael Hotel website