In the 1930s, the camp was renamed Fort Belvoir after the plantation that once occupied the land. The railroad was used for safety testing and coal transport for the military, as well as passenger transportation. Commuter-class train cars were in use until 1948, with passenger service until the end of the Korean War in 1953. The military also made use of Fort Belvoir and its railroad in World War II and the Korean War. Colloquially the train was called the Accotink Flyer by soldiers.
In 1971 the Richmond, Fredericksburg, and Potomac Railroad was authorized to close the station. Parts of the line continued to be used until 1993, when the last train ran on the tracks. The Virginia Department of Historic Resources recognized the rail corridor -- rail bed, sidings, rail yards, and associated buildings -- in its Historic Register in 2016. Fort Belvoir and the Federal Highway Administration maintain a historical marker, erected in 2018, near the location of the railroad, at the intersection of Telegraph Road and Fairfax County Parkway.