First Baptist Church of Pankey
As the Pankey community grew places of worship were needed. In 1911 Josephine Pankey began donating land for places of worship. First Baptist Church of Pankey was the second of these. The land was donated in 1929. The first church was Pankey Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church and no longer is in existence.
Backstory and Context
Along with education and homeownership Mrs. Pankey was concerned about the spiritual well-being of the citizens of Pankey. The first church that Mrs. Pankey donated land for was Pankey Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church in 1911. The congregation first met in a residence but erected a building in 1917. The church is not in existence today.
In 1929 Mrs. Pankey donated land for First Baptist Church of Pankey. It was started by Reverend A. Riller, Deacons Thompson and Facing and local residents. The church also served as a school during the week. It is one of two churches that exist today that Mrs. Pankey donated the land for its establishment. The other church still in existence is Grace Temple Church of God in Christ.
Marion Fulk, “Josephine Irvin Harris Pankey,” accessed November 27, 2019, https://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/entries/josephine-irvin-harris-pankey-9144/
Nancy Robinson Lott and Regina Norwood, Josephine: Celebrating the Life and Legacy of Mrs. Josephine Pankey (Little Rock: Friends of Josephine Pankey, 2012)
Nancy Robinson Lott and Regina Norwood, “Pankey (Pulaski County),” accessed November 27, 2019, https://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/entries/pankey-pulaski-county-5934/