Paresky Commons, 1928-1930, at Phillips Academy
Paresky Commons, 1929
Commons, 1930s. Photograph by Samuel Gottscho
Commons, 1956. Photograph by Allan Tuttle
Commons, 1976. Photograph by Richard Graber
Commons, circa 1970
Backstory and Context
Trustee and donor Thomas Cochran pledged $300,000 to build Commons if Phillips Academy trustees could raise the other $300,000 needed. The opening of Commons marked the start of the requirement that all students, except those in Williams Hall, eat in the dining rooms where each student had its own special room on the first and second floors. A small faculty room and two private dining rooms for special occasions were on the middle of the second floor, and the kitchen was located in the basement.
Barry Faulkner, an artist of New York and Cornish, NH, and a friend of Charles Platt, created six large murals in the winter of 1930-31. Painted on canvas, they show idalized New England landscapes. In 1970 a $125,000 renovation included separating the dishwashing and food serving operations, installation of conveyor belts to pick up dirty trays, and reorganization of the serving lines.
The image of prestige, affluence, and culture that the academy wished to project prevailed over its austere historical presence.
Academy Hill: The Andover Campus, 1778 to the Present. New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 2000.
Allis, Frederick S., Jr. Youth From Every Quarter: A Bicentennial History of Phillips Academy, Andover. Hanover, NH: University Press of New England, 1979.
Domingue, Robert A. Phillips Academy Andover, Massachusetts: An Illustrated History of the Property (including Abbot Academy). Wilmington, Mass.: Hampshire Press, 1990.
Montgomery, Susan J. and Roger G. Reed. Phillips Academy Andover: An Architectural Tour. New York: Princeton University Press, 2000.
Phillips Academy Archives and Special Collections