The East Akron Cemetery is the final resting place of famous Akron citizens such as Robinson (clay products), Saalfield (publishing), and Barber (father of O.C., the founder of Barberton). By 1912 the cemetery had grown large enough to warrant the construction of a home and office for the superintendent of the cemetery. Viall had passed away in 1899, yet due to his importance in establishing the cemetery, it was decided that the building would be named in his honor. Both “Viall” and “1912” are carved into a stone shield that appears on the facade of the building.
Architect J. Adam Fichter designed the building, Fichter had also designed buildings such as a theater in Cuyahoga Falls. The building is designed in the Tudor revival style, featuring a large covered entryway as well as vertical open timberwork and also featuring a high, pedimented gable. The building was home and office to the East Akron Cemetery’s superintendent until 1990 when the final superintendent retired. The building is still used as an office; however, the remainder of the house is used as a rental unit for Akron’s residents. Instead of a superintendent, the cemetery is known overseen by a general manager.