Around 1895, Alwood planted bur oak acorns from Ohio, his birthplace, in the Agricultural Experiment Station greenhouse and later outside the station. Six of these trees survive. To honor Alwood, the Virginia Tech Board of Visitors dedicated one of these trees in his name in October 2011, and dedicated a permanent monument in the surrounding area Alwood Plaza. Additionally, the Board of Visitors awarded a citation of recognition to the Alwood family. The Alwood Oak was originally denoted Tree #66 -- Bur Oak in Alwood's inventory of campus trees. The Alwood Oak is the only surviving specimen of the documentation Alwood created on the campus's arboretum.
The oak measured 177 inches in circumference and 85 feet tall, with a 123-foot crown as of 2010. It is one of the largest bur oaks in the state of Virginia.