W.D. Polk Block
The W.D. Polk Block is one of the earliest set of brick buildings to be constructed in Corning. The first building to be constructed in this block would be used as a bank. The block would eventually expand all the way from Pine Street to Vine Street with a new bank being built on the Vine Street corner in 1920.
Backstory and Context
The W.D. Polk Block is located on the northwest corner of SW Second Street and Pine Street. The first building to be constructed on this block was the southmost one. Built around 1894 by W.D. Polk, this building was the first bank to be constructed in Corning. The rest of the block was added later. As Corning would grow and modernize, older buildings in town were remodeled to fit the styles of the new era. This is evidenced by the stucco and brick that now covers the buildings. The bank section of the block has been cut down to a single story.
Argenweb – Arkansas Genealogical Resources Online “Clay County Narratives 1873 - 1899” Accessed October 25, 2019 http://www.argenweb.net/clay/couriernarratives1873-1899.htm
Argenweb – Arkansas Genealogical Resources Online “Second Street, Corning” Accessed October 25, 2019 http://www.argenweb.net/clay/secondst.htm