The members had little success fundraising at first, but when they received help from the Rotarians and women’s organizations, they were able to secure enough donations to support the construction of this building. The Rotarians and several Olympia area women’s organizations held fundraisers to receive donations from veterans, schoolchildren, and other social organizations or businesses.
The original plans for the building included an auditorium and meeting place, with events to attract people from the community. The American Legion wanted to bring in people from outside of their organization. The building opened on Armistice Day in 1921, and there was a large event with dances, boxing matches, Inaugural Balls, and other forms of entertainment.