The Virginian Building
Originally constructed in 1900, the two-story building originally housed The Bank of Giles. In 1906, when the bank was reorganized as The First National Bank of Pearisburg and relocated to 103 N. Main St., the building housed the publishing offices of the local paper The Pearisburg Virginian, which was published from 1906 to 1954 and which replaced the previous publication, The Weekly Pearisburg Virginian. One rival of The Pearisburg Virginian was the publication Virginian Leader, which was publicized beginning in 1857 and remains in publication today. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on January 30th, 1992.
Backstory and Context
The Giles County Courthouse, which was constructed in 1836, is the third oldest building in Pearisburg and the last building constructed in the eighteenth-century that still stands today. The Virginian Building, located directly across the street from the courthouse, is the fourth oldest building that still stands in town. Built by local banker C. L. King, the building originally housed The Bank of Giles. The first floor was used by tellers, and the second floor was used as an office space. In 1906, when the bank reorganized as The First National Bank of Pearisburg and relocated to 103 N. Main Street, the building housed the publishing offices of The Pearisburg Virginian, a local newspaper which was published beginning in the same year.
The Pearisburg Virginian replaced a previous publication titled the Weekly Pearisburg Virginian (1877-1906), which itself replaced the Pearisburg Gazette (1866-1877). The Pearisburg Virginian was published from 1906-1951. One rival of the Pearisburg Virginian was the Virginian Leader, which began publication in 1857 and which remains in publication today.
On December 11th, 1991, the building was added to the Virginia Landmark Registry as one of nineteen buildings (including the previously added Giles County Courthouse) comprising the Pearisburg Historic District. On January 30th, 1992, the building was additionally listed to the National Register of Historic Places for its commercial significance in the growth and development of Pearisburg in the early-twentieth century and for its architecture. The building features elaborate brick corbelling in the parapet, brick piers dividing the facade into three bays, and segmental arched windows.
Kern, John. Pearisburg Historic District, National Register of Historic Places. January 30th 1992. Accessed October 23rd 2019. https://www.dhr.virginia.gov/VLR_to_transfer/PDFNoms/279-0012_Pearisburg_Historic_District_1992_Final_Nomination.pdf.
Pearisburg Gazette, Library of Congress. Accessed October 23rd 2019. https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85034385/.
Pearisburg, Virginia (Newspapers), Roadside Thoughts. Accessed October 23rd 2019. https://roadsidethoughts.com/va/pearisburg-xx-giles-localpapers.htm.