Mill Creek Park Suspension Bridge.
Backstory and Context
The Mill Creek park suspension bridge has been known by many different names throughout the years, including the Silver Bridge, Cinderella Bridge, and the Fairy Tale Bridge. Regardless of the name it goes by, the bridge has stood as an icon to historic Mill Creek Park. The bridge was built in 1895. Originally designed by Charles Fowler, the Youngstown Bridge Co constructed the bridge. This 86 foot long suspension bridge is currently the oldest in Mill Creek Park, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
The bridge was the concept of the Parks founder Volney Rogers. He wanted the bridge to have a fantastical look for park guests to enjoy. The bridge has had to have several restorations done throughout the decades. In 1931 the original timber decking of the bridge was replaced. In 1973 another major renovation project was conducted in order to fix structural deficiencies in the bridge. The most recent renovation took place in 2007 when a $524,000 restoration project was begun. The goal of the project was to improve the overall integrity of the bridge as well as some cosmetic restoration.
Multiple historic agencies came together for this preservation office, including The Mahoning Valley Historical Society, Youngstown State University, and The Ohio Historic Preservation Office. Together they restored the bridge for the continued enjoyment of Mill Creek Park visitors.
Historic Structures & Sites , https://www.millcreekmetroparks.org. Accessed October 1st 2019. https://www.millcreekmetroparks.org/visit/places/historic-structures-and-sites/.
"Mill Creek's Cinderella Bridge getting a face-lift." The Vindicator (Youngstown) June 6th 2007. .
Johannesen, Eric. Mill Creek Park Suspension Bridge. National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form . Published October 26th 1976. United States Department of Interior .