Thornton Ward Estate is a historic rural estate located at 1387 U.S. Route 40 south-southeast of Toledo, Illinois. The main building on the estate, an Italianate house, was constructed circa 1875 by the Ward family. The two-story brick home has a symmetrical front with two windows on each story on either side of the entry. The entrance features a double door topped by an arched transom; a single panel door is located directly above the entrance on the second floor. The home's hipped roof features a small gable above the entrance and is topped by a widow's walk. The estate also includes a section of the original National Road.