Madison Station Roundhouse
Backstory and Context
This building is a replica of Madison's first city hall and is constructed on the original site of the Madison Depot. The original was built in the late 1800s while Capt. John Buchanan Floyd, a Confederate veteran was mayor. "The Roundhouse" served as the official city hall for town meetings, elections, and town activities such as weddings, hair cutting (when the barber made his weekly visit), and frequent card games. The original "Roundhouse" was dismantled in approximately 1938.
The foundation is still visible in downtown Madison on the south side of the railroad tracks near Main Street Cafe.
Plans for this replica began in 1968 while E.O. Baston was mayor to commemorate Madison's Centennial in 1969.
This Replica was constructed on September 21, 1986 at the annual street festival by developer John Hathaway and The Wild Boys Land & Cattle Company and community volunteers. Burwell L. "Sonny" Wilbanks was mayor.