Danvers State Hospital
Danvers State Hospital was a psychiatric hospital built in 1874 on Hathorne Hill, the former home of Salem Witch Trials judge John Hathorne. Also, because of its "ghostly" appearance and often troubling history, the hospital has been featured in many films, books, and video games.
Backstory and Context
The building consisted of the central building with four wings off both sides that allowed ventilation for each ward and views of the surrounding land. The belief was that this design would help cure more patients and eliminate "the darkest, most cheerless and worst ventilated parts" of the hospital. Over the years, over 40 buildings and structures were built on the land, including separate buildings for tuberculosis patients, two nursing homes, housing for staff, the Bonner medical building, machine shops, pump house, a cemetery, several cottages as well as an elaborate labyrinth of underground tunnels connecting all of the buildings.
As funding declined and the public became concerned about conditions, the state decided to stop housing patients at this facility in favor of medication and third-party health providers. The state closed Danvers State Hospital in 1992. The hospital was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and remained abandoned for thirteen years. in 2005, the hospital was purchased with the intent of converting the historic structure into an apartment building. In 2008 construction was finished and the first tenants moved into their new homes.