Roughly 4,546 acres were initially purchased for the construction of Watoga; in August of 1934 an additional 5,107 acres were added. CCC Camp 1525 was established and began working on Watoga that same year. Company 1525 constructed buildings; created multiple trails by clearing pathways and making sure they were accessible; built a swimming pool; and built a dam to form an 11-acre lake. By the time the camp in Watoga closed the CCC had successfully built twenty-two cabins, a stable, horse and hiking trails, fourteen miles of roads, and a swimming pool.
Watoga State Park was opened on July 1, 1937. In addition to camping, fishing, and hiking, Watoga is a place that is filled with historic artifacts that have a meaningful story behind them. Today some buildings made by the CCC remain standing and there is a museum full of artifacts and pictures associated with the history of the location.