Hotel Paso Del Norte is one of the most recognizable landmarks in El Paso. Erected in 1912 after two years of construction, it was designed by the architect firm Trost & Trost—which designed many other buildings in the city—in a combination of the Chicago and Beaux-Arts styles. The building features an elaborate exterior with many decorative elements including large windows (some of which have arches) and white terra cotta trim. The interior features an elaborate lobby topped with a large, 25-foot diameter Tiffany dome. Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979, it is now a Marriott hotel.
The idea for the hotel originated with local businessman and land owner Zach T. White, who arrive in El Paso in early 1881. After witnessing the fire that destroyed the Grand Central Hotel in 1892, he decided to build a fireproof hotel. He spent $1.5 million dollars—a huge some at the time—sparing no expense. He even hired Italian artisans to help create the lobby. Numerous prominent figures have stayed at the hotel including General John Pershing, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Vice President Nixon. Additionally, it was here in 1963 that President Lyndon John and Mexican President Adolfo Lopez Mateos (and other officials) attended the Chazimal Convention, which resolved a longs-standing border dispute between the two countries.
In 1971, White's daughter sold the hotel to an investment company. Different owners acquired the building during the next few decades. In 1986, a 17-story addition was built. In 2004, the hotel was renamed the Camino Real. Marriot bought it in 2017 and began a process of extensive renovations.