At the top of the building, there is a cupola which housed the bell that would be rung when there was a fire. The bell would also be rung on other occasions, such as when the fire department gave gifts to children at Christmas or when schools were closed for a snow day. For the latter, there was a coded system where a number of bell rings would tell everyone in town that school’s closed.
The fire department was moved to a new building on South Fifth Avenue in 1955. Photographs from the 1970s through the early 2000s show dry cleaning businesses in the former firehouse.