Look closely at the building and notice the extensions from the eaves with a notch at each end. This notch appears to be a trademark of the architect Thomas P. Barber who designed several buildings at the YMCA of the Rockies in the early twentieth century. Barber, based in Colorado Springs, Colorado was known for his work in designing churches, hotels, apartment buildings, and commercial structures. His more noticeable achievements included the city hall in Colorado Springs.
Due to the success of the Y camp, the Walnut Room was converted to a dining hall in 1912, but following a major snow storm in December of 1913, which effected the whole region, the weight of snow piled on the dining room roof caused it to collapse. Despite the damage inflicted on the building, the dining room was ready for use by the summer of 1914.
In the past, the basement of the Walnut Room has served as an arts and crafts studio, a beauty parlor, and now the association camp Post Office.